CAFÉ is the acronym for Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency and Expanded vocabulary.
CAFÉ provides students with an opportunity to set reading related goals in order to understand and develop different strategies used. Elements of CAFÉ is to provide students a platform to understand, prepare, teach and support the level specific needs of the readers.
CAFÉ elements, from a students perspective, includes:
- Comprehension – I understand what I read.
- Connect to the story
- Back up and re-read
- Accuracy – I can read a variety of words.
- Know the letters and sounds
- Identify beginning and ending sounds
- Trade a word that makes sense
- Fluency – I can read with accuracy and express
- Know many words by heart
- Read with expression
- Read with expression and pacing
- Expand vocabulary – I know, find and use interesting words.
- Be a voracious reader
- Use interesting words in speaking and writing
- Use dictionaries and glossaries as tools.
CAFÉ encourages Daily Reading with guided strategies to achieve the above.